Apfelstrudel also known as apple strudel is a traditional Viennese pastry, that is very popular around Europe. It's a type of dessert or brunch treat that has a very nice crunch. The apples are moist and sweet with a delicious flavor of cinnamon.
A few years back, I went on a ski trip in Austria and one evening we went to this beautiful restaurant. Outside was snowing and everything was pure white. Inside was warm and cozy and the food was amazing. For dessert, I ordered the original alfelstrudel and still remember the rich and flavorfull taste. Therefore, I wanted to bring the same effect, in my little kitchen. And I did! I used puff-pastry and the result was delicious and so easy to make!
Yield: 4 servings Time: 1 hour 1o minutes
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tbsp of melted unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 6 apples, peeled and grated
- 100 g (1/2 cup) vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- fresh strawberries
- confectioner sugar
- Preheat the oven at 190°C (375°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface and unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. Place on the baking sheet and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add apples, vanilla sugar and cinnamon.
- Tossing occasionally, cook the apples until they become tender, for about 10-15 min. Let them cool completely.
- With the short side facing you, spoon filling horizontally in a strip across the center, leaving a 1-inch border on both long sides. Roll up and tuck the ends under to seal. Place the strudel seam-side down onto a baking sheet.
- Brush the pastry with the butter. Cut several steam vents in the top of the pastry.
- Bake for 35-40 min, or until golden-brown.
- Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar.
- Serve it warm with a vanilla sauce or vanilla ice-cream and fresh strawberries.
Tips and Tricks:
- The best way to thaw the puff-pastry is in the refrigerator, over night. If however, you are not able to do this, remove the puff-pastry from the freezer and let it set at room temperature for 30 min.
- For extra flavor, you can add raisins to the apple mixture.