Originally from France, Vichyssoise is a thick soup made of puréed potatoes, leeks, onions, cream and chicken stock. Its consistency is very rich and velvety and subtly flavored with leeks and green onions. The ingredients are simple and basic and is shamelessly easy to prepare.
The original Vichyssoise contains cream, but for a lighter version, I only used sour cream for garnish. Also, potatoes create a healthful base for a creamy soup.
I love to prepare this light soup for a dinner party with friends or for comfortable night at home. Pair it with a green salad for a simple but satisfying lunch or supper.
Yield: 5 servings Time: 40 min
- 60 g (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 3 leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed
- 3 spring onions (scallions), trimmed
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1.25 l (5 cups) chicken broth
- sour creme or Crème fraîche
- crispy bacon
- Chop the leeks into small pieces.
- Cut the spring onions in half crosswise, dividing white and green parts. Coarsely chop white parts and set aside. Finely chop green parts and set aside separately.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add 4 cups of leeks and chopped white parts of scallions and cook, for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the potatoes and salt and let the flavors combine for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and increase heat to medium-high and bring just to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, for 35 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place 3 ladles of the potato mixture in a blender and purée until smooth. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Return purée to pot, adjust seasonings and cook over medium heat until hot.
- Garnish individual servings with sour cream or Crème fraîche, bacon and reserved scallion greens.
Traditionally, this soup is served cold but it's great hot as well. So, try this recipe for a hot summer day or a chilly afternoon!
Tips and Tricks:
- Substitute the bacon with mushrooms, if vegetarian.
- This soup can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.