Soft and tender bread rolls are very versatile and suit every taste. From the traditional French roll, whole wheat rolls to dinner rolls with rosemary and brie, you will find them perfect to complement every meal.
Few things make your kitchen smell as wonderful as warm bread rolls. They have a delicious homemade flavor that is subtle and comforting.
Bread rolls preparation is a little bit time consuming but most of it is spent waiting for the dough to rise. The actual work involved is minimal and they are really easy to make. Bread rolls are a beautiful addition to a dinner party or to the holiday table.
Yield: 10-12 rolls Time: 3 hours
- 500-600 g (5-6 cups) all-purpose flour
- 360 ml (1 1/2 cup) warm milk
- 50 g (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 yeast cake (8 g/0.3 oz) or 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- poppy seeds
- In a small bowl, add the yeast, sugar, 3 tbs of milk and 2 tbsp of flour and mix well. Let the yeast proof for 20 minutes in a warm place. The composition should double in size and develop many bubbles.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer (or a large bowl, if mixing by hand), add the yeast mixture, milk and flour. Knead at low speed, or by hand against the counter, for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and continue kneading at low speed, until the dough is smooth, for 10 minutes.
- Cover the mixing bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place, for about an hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a rope then cut each rope into 5-6 pieces. Roll the ball of dough between your hands until rounded perfectly. Arrange dough balls in the baking sheet, placing them at 7 cm apart and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let the rolls stand in a warm place until have doubled in size, for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Brush each roll with milk and sprinkle poppy seeds on the top of each roll.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the rolls cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy this moist and fluffy bread rolls with your family!
Tips and Tricks:
- The unbaked rolls can be shaped in advance, frozen for up to 2 months and thawed when needed.
- Brush baked rolls with melted butter and cover them with a clean kitchen towel to make extra-softer dinner rolls.