Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cornbread - A favorite childhood treat


Cornbread is a popular type of bread loved by many people for its texture and aroma

Cornbread is a popular type of bread loved by many people for its texture and aroma. Slightly sweet, with a tender crumb thanks to the buttermilk, this is not only good on its own, but perfect when combined with savory ingredients like soups or stews.

Cornbread is a popular type of bread loved by many people for its texture and aroma

I always associate cornbread with my childhood, especially with my grandmother. This was one of my favorite treats prepared by her when I was little. I loved the smell of freshly baked cornbread and I used to enjoy it warm with a cup of milk. My dear grandmother still prepares me cornbread in the brick oven when I visit her because she knows how much I love it. Therefore, for me cornbread, in its simplicity, brings out many memories so I feel my grandmother closer to me when I miss her.

Cornbread is a popular type of bread loved by many people for its texture and aroma

The recipe combines simple and honest ingredients and doesn't involve any special technique. You will love the cornbread moisture, texture and aroma.

Yield: 6 servings                    Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients: 
  • 125 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
  • 150 g (1 cup) cornmeal
  • 60 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk 
Directions:  
  1. Preheat oven to 175°C (375°F). Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add the eggs and beat until well blended. 
  3. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into the mixture. 
  4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the dry ingredients. 
  5. Gradually add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients whisking constantly. Do not over mix.
  6. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool in pan for at least 15 minutes before inverting and slicing.
  8. Serve warm for best flavor.    
Enjoy this moist and delicious cornbread!

Tip and Tricks:
  • Leftovers can be stored wrapped in a towel or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 48 hours. Cornbread can be frozen for six weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your pictures, your recipes, your design, I love everything :) you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are too kind! I am so glad you like them! Kisses

      Delete