A simple but delicious homemade tomato soup is a wonderful spring time treat. It has a silky and light texture which complements its fresh taste beautifully. The tomatoes are cooked in a well seasoned broth and pureed into a creamy soup. Serve it warm or cold with toasted bread or grilled cheese croutons!
This recipe it is very easy to make and it's ready in 30 minutes. The required ingredients are basic and found in every pantry therefore you should definitely give it a try. You will be surprised how much flavor a simple tomato soup has!
Yield: 4 servings Time: 30-40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- 1 kg (2 pounds) of fresh or 800 ml (2 x 14-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil
- Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened and translucent (not browned), for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, the chicken stock and 1 basil leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes if using fresh tomatoes or 15 minutes if using canned tomatoes.
- Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to a clean pot and set over low heat.
- Add the heavy cream and check the seasoning carefully.
- Divide among warm soup bowls, top with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.
Share this delicious tomato soup with your friends and family!
Tip and Tricks:
- If the pureed soup seems too thick, stir in some warm extra stock to thin.
- For a chilled soup, refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- For storing, transfer cooled soup to an airtight container and refrigerate.