Ciulama is a traditional Romanian dish that is very popular in Easter Europe cuisine. It's prepared from poultry or mushrooms in a white sauce and it's often served with polenta. I reinterpreted this dish using chicken drumsticks and mushrooms in a rich creamy sauce. The result was hearty and delicious!
When I miss my country and family I always prepare something traditional and the taste of this dish definitely reminds me of my heritage. It's a simple recipe which is very easy to prepare. This dish can be served for lunch.
Yield: 4 servings Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for ciulama:
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 300-400 g mushrooms
- 250 ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- chopped parsley
- olive oil
Ingredients for polenta:
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of corn flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Rinse and pat dry chicken.
- Quarter a few mushrooms and roasted them in a pan, sprinkled with 1 tablespoon of salt, in 1 teaspoon of olive oil, for about 6 minutes, over medium to high heat.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, diced onion and grated carrot. Sautée the vegetables, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of warm water and let them soften, over low heat, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and a cup of warm water to the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and allow them to cook for 30 minutes, over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, remove the roasted mushrooms from the pan and add the sliced mushrooms. Sautée them for 5 minutes.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of sauce, from saucepan, over the mushrooms and bring it to boil.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the sour cream with 3-4 tablespoons of water and the corn starch. Mix to incorporate.
- When the mushrooms are softened, pour the sauce and mushrooms over the sour cream mixture, stirring constantly to increase the temperature of the composition.
- Add the sour cream-mushroom mixture over chicken and boil gently for 5 more minutes or until it gets creamy. Check the seasoning.
- To prepare polenta, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly add the corn flour and using a whisk stir constantly until tick, for about 15 minutes, over medium heat.
- Serve immediately with chicken drumsticks, mushrooms and sauce. Place some roasted mushrooms on a plate and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Try this delicious recipe!
Tips and Tricks:
- You can replace the corn starch with 2-3 tablespoons of flour.