Creamy asparagus soup is a wonderful way to enjoy fresh and healthy vegetables offered by spring. The vibrant green color of this soup makes it as beautiful as it is delicious and is perfect for this time of year. It’s full of the fresh flavor of spring asparagus, with added texture and richness from potatoes and a touch of cream.
Asparagus are not only low in calories and high in folic acid, they are also a good source of potassium, fiber, thiamin, and vitamins A, B6, and C. They are packed with antioxidants having thus anti-aging properties and are an excellent source of glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and protect cells from fee radicals. Therefore, by adding asparagus to your diet, your body will receive all the health benefits that this spring vegetable has to offer.
Cream of fresh asparagus soup has a a smooth and silky texture and is an elegant starter or lunch dish. In addition, is very easy to prepare and it's ready in less than an hour!
Yield: 4-6 servings Time: 40 minutes
- 450 g (1 lb.) green asparagus, trimmed, peeled and cut into 5 cm (2-inch) pieces, tips reserved
- 400 g (0.8 lb.) potatoes, peeled and cut into 5 cm (2-inch) chunks
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic glove, diced
- 1 l (5 cups) chicken broth
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- desired garnish (croutons, finely sliced vegetables, asparagus tips, chives etc.)
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sautée until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus stalks and potatoes and sautée for 3 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, until asparagus is very tender.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and working in batches, puree until smooth.
- Return to the pot, over low heat and stir in the heavy cream. Check the seasoning.
- Serve warm with desired garnishes like sauteed radishes and croutons.
Enjoy this fresh soup with your family and friends!
Tips and Tricks:
- For an even smoother result, pour pureed asparagus through a sieve in order to remove any course fibrous threads in the soup.