Summer is just around the corner and what better way to enjoy it then preparing a colorful and delicious salad? With the abundance of gorgeous summer vegetables available from your garden or farmers' market, now is the time to make salads. This one features tuna tossed with a light homemade dressing, fresh herbs, green onions, radishes, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese.
In this recipe I used canned tuna which I found to have many health benefits. Did you know that canned tuna is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which help improve blood vessel function, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease? Or that it serves as an excellent source of lean protein? On the other hand, this is a type food that should be consumed in moderation because it does contain mercury. But light tuna makes a safer option than white tuna, notes the Food and Drug Administration, because it's low in mercury.
This recipe has the advantage that involves no cooking, it's very quick and easy to prepare and delicious. I love to prepare salads during summer because it's a wonderful way to enjoy seasonal vegetables. I also prepared an Italian inspired salad with leafy greens, prosciutto, mozzarella, arugula, spinach which was absolutely delightful!
Yield: 2 servings Time: 15 minutes
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 radish bundle, thinly sliced
- 1 green onions bundle, thinly sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes (I used mini Heirloom tomatoes), halved
- 1 oil-packed tuna fish (5 oz)
- 85 g (3 oz) feta cheese
- 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of of red wine vinegar
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and olive oil.
- Add the lettuce, radishes, green onions, tomatoes, feta cheese and tuna fish and toss to combine. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy this fresh and healthy salad for lunch or dinner!
Tips and Tricks:
- It’s always better to chop your own vegetables. The flavor is fresher than packaged products.