Caprese salad, a classic dish from the island of Capri, is the perfect summertime appetizer. It resembles the colors of the Italian flag: red, white, and green. It's a simple salad, made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, seasoned with olive oil and salt. This salad is fresh and light and extremely easy to prepare.
Tomatoes are in season now therefore is the perfect time to enjoy their sweet and tangy flavor. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and E and beta-carotene. Therefore, eating tomatoes can help reduce cholesterol, inflammation and allergic reactions.
Caprese salad is one of the simplest and delicious salad and is ready in 10 minutes. It can be easily served as an appetizer or meal and is very refreshing.
Yield: 4-6 servings Time: 10 minutes
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 basil bunch
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Alternating, layer the tomatoes and mozzarella one after another.
- Add basil leaves in between each layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
Tips and Tricks:
- Look for fresh ripe tomatoes at farmers markets in the city, a farm stand in the country or your local supermarket.