Chicken Parmesan is a traditional Italian dish full of beautiful flavors. It's prepared using breaded chicken breasts, in tomato sauce, topped with basil, mozzarella and Parmesan and served with a side of pasta. The smell of chicken, Parmesan and garlic fill your home with such inviting aroma that everyone will get excited for dinner.
Chicken Parmesan is one of the best uses I can think of for boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. It is baked in the oven and stays moist and delicious. On the other hand, the cheese add a nice texture and taste to the over all dish. This is a smart option and so delicious, it'll become a dinnertime regular.
Yield: 4 servings Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 430 ml (28 oz can) Marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 to 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 box of Spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 175 °C (350° F) degrees and lightly oil a baking dish with olive oil.
- Put the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them. Pound the chicken breasts with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/2-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish whisk the egg. Put the bread crumbs on a plate, season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breast halves in one at a time coating both sides and drip any excess egg back into the dish, then dredge in the bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil, over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, work in batches adding two of the chicken breast halves at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Flip when you notice the edges of the chicken are a deep golden and cook for another 3-4 minutes. After each batch, remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil and then arrange in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Once all of the chicken has been cooked, in the same pan, add the garlic and and cook for a minute or two. Carefully, add the marinara sauce and butter and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Pour one third of the sauce over top of the chicken. Evenly sprinkle with the Parmesan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add to the remaining marinara, toss and heat on low to keep warm.
- After the 25 minutes, remove the foil and top the chicken with mozzarella slices and pop the pan back into the oven for 10 more minutes more until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with the spaghetti.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you want extra crunch for your chicken replace the regular breadcrumbs with Japanese Panko crumbs.