Saturday, July 19, 2014

Butter biscuits - Crisp and delicious

Crisp butter biscuits (or butter cookies) are a simple way to enjoy a beautiful afternoon

Crisp butter biscuits (or butter cookies) are a simple way to enjoy a beautiful afternoon. They pair very well with a cup of tea, coffee or lemonade. This delightful biscuits are made using only flour, butter, sugar and eggs. At their most basic, they have no flavoring but by adding lemon zest and vanilla extract provides a delicious tang and taste to them.


This cookies remind me very much of my childhood. My mother used to make them often when I was little. They made me realize that even without knowing, I always try remember and recreate dishes and treats that bring out many beautiful memories of our family. I visited my parents last month and my mother-in-law prepared these amazing biscuits. When I tasted them, I felt both happy and emotional. She helped me prepare them last week and I was very surprised to see how simple and easy they are. So here it is another delicious family recipe!

Crisp butter biscuits (or butter cookies) are a simple way to enjoy a beautiful afternoon

Yield: 2 cookie trays                                              Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 230 g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 
  • 700 g (5 cups) all-purpose flour
  • 200 g (1 cup) granulated white sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature 
  • zest from 2 lemons
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder  
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (175 ºC). Line 2 cookie trays 26 by 18 in (66 by 46 cm) with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a separate large bowl, cream the butter well with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and then add the lemon zest.
  4. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture and combine until a dough is formed. Knead it until compact.
  5. In order to enable proper manipulation, chill the dough for 30 minutes in the
  6. refrigerator.
  7. Using a piping bag or a cookie press, shape the biscuits as you desire.
  8. Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes until golden. 
  9. Remove them from trays and cool them on a wire rack.  
Enjoy!

Tips and Tricks:
  • Butter cookies are also excellent to freeze unbaked. Lye them flat on cookie sheets and package in airtight freezer bags when frozen. 
  • Bake them off in quantities you need right from the freezer, no defrosting is necessary, for fresh baked cookies anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment