Cantaloupe ice cream is a light and refreshing dessert therefore ideal for summertime. It has a sweet flavor with a wonderful and delicate flagrance. It's a delicious treat that will make your family and friends ask for more!
I love to prepare homemade ice cream mainly due to the fact that I am able to control the ingredients. Hence the ice cream will not contain preservatives, artificial flavors or chemicals and I can avoid the ingredients that some companies add to stabilize the cream, thicken it up, and keep it from crystallizing. Another advantage of homemade ice cream is the creativity. I can make flavors that I can't get at the store by adding different ingredients.
This is a great recipe for homemade ice cream in which cantaloupe is the key ingredient. It is very easy to prepare and demands basic ingredients. It requires an ice-cream maker but if you don't have one, you can find the directions here. Keep in mind that the ice cream maker must be placed inside the freezer at least 15 hours before use.
Yield: 4 servings Time: 35 minutes
- 453 g (1 lb) cantaloupe, peeled and cut into cubes
- 120 g (1/2 cup) yogurt
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- In an electric blender, blend cantaloupe until smooth.
- Add the yogurt, heavy cream, honey and lemon juice and blend until homogenized.
- Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- The ice cream will be slightly soft. Serve it immediately as it is or place in an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
Cool yourself with a delicious homemade ice cream!
Tips and Tricks:
- To prevent ice crystals from forming, cover the surface with a layer of plastic wrap or wax paper before closing the container.
- Homemade ice creams keep well for up to a week. After that, they begin to lose their flavor and creamy texture.