Eggplant salad is a traditional Israeli dish that is very popular in my home country, Romania. It combines the flavor of roasted or grilled eggplant with onion, fresh lemon juice and homemade mayonnaise. This salad can be served as a delicious appetizer, dip or spread on bread.
Always choose firm eggplant with smooth skin and no soft spots. Also, they have to be heavy for their size.
Eggplant salad is very easy to prepare and also very healthy. It can be made entirely by hand but for making mayonnaise it can also be used an electric mixer.
In this recipe I roasted my eggplant in the oven but if you prefer the campfire - smoky flavor you can grill them directly on the burner grate on the stove top.
Yield: 1 medium bowl Time: 1 hour
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml (0.84 cup) sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 195 ºC (380ºF). Lay the eggplants on an ungreased baking sheet. Pinch each eggplant for several times with a fork.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until soft. Turn them on all sides during the baking process.
- Cut each eggplant lengthwise into two halves. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh into a strainer and let them drain for 10 minutes.
- Allow the eggplant to cool at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, put in an electric mixer the egg yolk and mustard and turn it on. Add the oil in a very thin film until you get the mayonnaise consistency.
- Chop the eggplant with a knife until you get a smooth paste.
- Mix the eggplant with mayonnaise, onion and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in a cool place until served.
Tips and Tricks:
- Do not keep the eggplant too much to drain. It will oxidize.
- For a healthier eggplant salad, use low-fat or non-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, or just mix the baked eggplant with olive oil until a creamy consistency. Just season it.