Packed with raisins, lemon zest and cocoa this sweet loaf recipe is incredibly delicious. It has a rich texture, it's very moist and has light vanilla flavor. One of the best things about making it is that it’s very easy to prepare. Within minutes you can have this bread in the oven filling your house with a mouthwatering scent. Serve this flagrant loaf with fruits, tea or even on its own.
This recipe has become very popular in my family. My brother-in-law mother prepares this delightful loaf often so it has became very famous. She is an amazing home cook and was very kind to share a few recipe with me. So here it is. Simple, delicious and appetizing!
Yield: 3 loaves Time: 1 hour
- 800 g (6.5 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 7 eggs, at room temperature
- 1-2 packs vanilla sugar
- 380 g (3 cups) confectioner's sugar
- 200 ml (0.84 cup) milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 200 ml (0.84 cup) oil
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder, sifted
- 100 g raisins, hydrated in 100 ml rum essence
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Grease or line with parchment paper, three 33 x 12 cm (13 x 5 inch) loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the lemon zest and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the confectioner's sugar, vanilla sugar, eggs, salt and using a whisk, mix for 10-15 until the composition becomes light and fluffy.
- Combine the lemon juice with the baking soda and mix until a foam starts to form. Add it to the milk and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the oil and working in batches slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder composition mixing well after each addition. The batter must be thick and lump free.
- Once the batter is ready, divide it in 4 even parts. Add 3 parts of the batter to the prepared loaf pans. Add the sifted cacao powder to the forth part of batter and blend it well.
- Add the raisins over the batter in the 3 loaves and then divide the cacao composition evenly among them.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 45 minutes. The sweet loaf is done when a a toothpick inserted in the middle of it comes out clean.
- Leave the loaves to cool in the tins before taking them out.
Tips and Tricks:
- This loaf taste even better the next day as the flavors melt and blend. It can be eaten fresh, but also freezes very well.
- If the loaf begins to brown too much before it has completed baking, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.