Watermelon lemonade is an all-natural vibrant summer drink with a perfect balance between sweet and tart and with a subtle flavor of mint. In this recipe, classic lemonade is combined with freshly pureed watermelon and mint syrup in a refreshing drink. Therefore, watermelon lemonade is be sure to satisfy any thirst. Add ice and serve it to dinner parties, barbeques or picnics!
Watermelon is incredibly hydrating (up to 92% water) therefore is a natural diuretic. Is also rich in potassium and a wonderful source of beta-carotene which is converted in the body to vitamin A which help produce the pigments in the retina of the eye, maintain a healthy skin, teeth, skeletal and soft tissue, and mucus membranes. The vitamin C content in watermelon is astoundingly high which is great at improving our immune system.
Watermelon lemonade is extremely easy to prepare and is ready in less than 20 minutes. It's my favorite summer drink because it combines two of the summer staples: watermelon and lemonade. I am sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do so try it!
Yield: 1 pitcher (2 l - 2 quarts) Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for watermelon lemonade:
- juice from 5 lemons
- juice from 1 lime
- 600 g (1.3 lbs) watermelon, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 l (1 quart) water
- mint for garnish
Ingredients for mint syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 stalks of mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the mint syrup preparation, in small saucepan, over medium heat, add 1 cup of water and sugar. Bring it to a boil and add the mint stalks. Reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes and then remove the mint and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- For the watermelon lemonade preparation, in a blender, puree watermelon in batches until smooth.
- Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into pitcher. Add the lemon juice, lime, water and mint syrup. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon and lime slices. Serve over ice.
Enjoy this fresh and delicious summer drink!
Tips and Tricks:
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days.