As you know, this week we are celebrating late summer fruits and if Monday we honored blueberries in a classic homemade pie, today's stars are the delicious blackberries folded in a beautiful galette. Basically, galettes are free from French tarts with a rustic appearance and lovely charm. They consist of a single Pâte Brisée crust with its edges being folded up and around the filling. During baking, the galette becomes crisp and the dessert manages to be both rustic and elegant.
I've recently discovered a little place, close to our home, where I can gather fresh blackberries. So in a beautiful, sunny morning I walked there. I was amazed by the abundance of this black colored berries and I was very eager to fill my basket.
On my way back, I started thinking about what can I bake to showcase them and of all the options, blackberry galettes seemed to be the perfect fit. Easy to prepare, unsophisticated but refined and above all, delicious!
Fruit galettes are basically a quicker and simpler version of pies. They require less time, ingredients and work. They are also very versatile because you can use different kind of fruits such as peaches, apples, plums or other berries. In my recipe, galettes are filled with fresh ripe blackberries which means they are delicious on their own or even more delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or two...
I love eating blackberries, apart from being naturally sweet and delicious, because they have an important nutritional content of dietary fibers, vitamin C and K and manganese. They are also a rich source of antioxidants hence their beautiful dark color. This compounds help promote cardiovascular and nervous system health as well as prevent cell-damage and but also infections due to blackberries immune boosting properties. So incorporate them in your daily diet by eating them raw or by including them in delicious recipes such as this one.
Yield: 2 galettes Preparation Time: 2 hours 15 minutes Baking Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for Pâte Brisée:
- 195 g (1 1/3 cup) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 113 g (1 stick) butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for blackberry filling:
- 500 g (1.10 pound) fresh blackberries
- 75 g (1/3) cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- For the crust preparation, in a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until you get fine crumbs. Add the iced water (start with 4 tablespoons and add 1 additional tablespoon if the dough feels to dry). Gather the curds of the dough together and wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When the dough has about 10 minutes for chill, preheat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F).
- For the filling preparation, place blackberries in a large bowl. Separately, mix sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the blackberries folding carefully to avoid crushing the fruits.
- Place the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface and divide it in half. Roll out both pieces in a circular shape and transfer them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Divide the blackberry filling evenly between the pastry dough, mounding in center and within 1/2 inch of the edge. Fold the edges up and over the filling forming pleats as you go.
- Lightly beat the egg with milk and brush the edges with egg wash. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of granulated white sugar over each galette.
- Bake the galettes in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the berries are soft and the crust is golden brown.
- Let the galettes cool at room temperature before serving.
- Serve with a vanilla ice cream or a dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- If during baking any juices have leaked onto the baking sheet, just slide a knife under the galette to release it from the parchment paper.