Today I am inviting you to a little culinary trip to Mexico, where guacamole, an avocado-based healthy vegan dip, is originally from. It has an authentic taste and my recipe includes fresh avocado, cilantro, fiery jalapeño pepper, tomatoes, red onions, a bright lime juice and a touch of cumin. Guacamole is delicious with tortilla chips, sliced vegetables such as carrots, celery sticks or bell-pepper. Serve guacamole as an appetizer for parties or as a nutritious snack.
Because avocados play an important role in the success of this dish, try to choose the perfect ones. Here are some tips. Look for ripe avocados that when squeezed in the palm of your hands are firm but yet yield to a gentle pressure. The skin should be dark, uniformly colored, with a hint of green and unblemished. The flesh should have a creamy and smooth texture and a beautiful pale-green color.
Avocados are considered one of the healthiest foods around the world mainly due to their excessive content of 25 essential nutrients such as Vitamin C, B, A, E, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and so on. They are also rich in protein, fiber and mono-saturated fat (the healthy type). Therefore, they lower cholesterol level, control blood pressure, regulate the blood sugar levels, protect against cancer. Additionally, avocados have outstanding anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties. Try to add avocados to your diet either by using them in this healthy and delicious guacamole recipe or by incorporating them in salads, smoothies or omelets.
Guacamole is traditionally made using ripe, fresh avocados and sea salt. Then, in order to balance the richness of the avocados, a dash of lime juice is added. To elevate the taste, I chose to also add cumin, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño pepper and grape tomatoes. With a rich and chunky texture, the guacamole recipe that I am proposing you today, takes around 5 minutes to prepare (and the same amount of time to eat).
Yield: 2 cups Time: 5 minutes
- 3 large ripe avocados, at room temperature
- 1 large lime juiced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed. Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh into a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice and the cumin and using a fork roughly mash the avocado.
- Add the onion, jalapeño pepper, tomatoes, cilantro and fold everything together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.
Tips and Tricks:
- Store leftover guacamole in the refrigerator. Make sure to cover it with a plastic wrap because longer exposure to air causes oxidation and the guacamole will turn brown.