Banana bread is a wonderful way to use over-ripe bananas. With a moist and cake-like consistency this recipe is easy to prepare and delicious. To elevate its flavor I used coconut, vanilla and chocolate. Banana bread is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Enjoy it with a glass of cold milk, as a side for caffé latte or toasted with a scoop of yogurt.
I love bananas and I always have them in my kitchen. A few days ago, I noticed that some of them were over ripe so I decided to prepare something that I never made before: banana bread. In this banana bread recipe, I used all of my favorite flavorings: coconut, vanilla and of course chocolate. And let me tell you, it turn out exactly as I expected: very moist, flavorful and delicious!
For this recipe, I've roasted bananas in the oven with a little bit of honey and cinnamon in order to intensify their soft sweetness and aroma and caramelize their abundant sugar. Also, this was the first time I've baked with coconut oil and I was surprise of how much moistness, softness and tenderness it lends. It has just a hint of delectable coconut flavor which made even more suitable for this recipe. To enhance its taste I also used coconut milk and roasted coconut flakes. Both coconut oil and coconut milk are healthier alternatives to butter and dairy and this is why I also chose to use more whole wheat flour and less all-purpose flour. Therefore, this is a more nutritious recipe of the traditional banana bread.
This banana bread recipe comes together with a whisk and a bowl. It doesn't require any special kitchen tools or apparels and it's very easy to prepare. The oven does all the work and your house will smell amazing!
Yield: one 9x5 inch loaf pan Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 4 bananas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 160 g (1 1/4 cup) whole wheat
- 60 g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 100 g (1/2) cup brown sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) canned coconut milk
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 85 g (3 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted coconut flakes + 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 205 °C (400 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Peel the bananas and place them on the baking sheet. Drizzle each banana with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Roast them for 20-25 minutes until caramelized and brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Set aside.
- Remove the roasted bananas from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Mash bananas with a fork.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the brown sugar until smooth. Add the coconut milk and the coconut oil and mix until combined. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract and stir until incorporated.
- Gently add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the coconut flakes and the chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour into the loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining coconut flakes.
- Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet and put it in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Tips and Tricks:
- If the loaf begins to brown to quickly in the oven, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
- The bread can be kept covered, at room temperature, for 3-5 days.