Today I am presenting you a very easy and delicious recipe that does not take away the time to chat but rather draws to it: crunchy chickpeas with smoked paprika. This is a healthy savory snack alternative, perfect for a casual meeting with your friends, parties or for movie night. They are slightly salty and spicy, with a hit of garlic and paprika. Roasting enhances the chickpeas texture and infuses them with wonderful flavors.
The texture of the roasted chickpeas is surprisingly crispy, they make a beautiful, loud crunch in your mouth. They are quite addictive and you can end up eating the entire batch by yourself.
Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) are used in used in many dishes across the Middle East. They are a very rich source of protein, comparable to that of meat and dairy, thus a wonderful option for vegetarians. Chickpeas are also full of dietary fiber which helps the digestive tract to move excess cholesterol out of the body. They also contain a significant amount of manganese, iron and folate. Chickpeas have therefore very important nutritional benefits and I strongly advise you to add them to your diet. Either by eating them as a delicious snack or using them in salad, soup or in the famous hummus.
For this roasted paprika chickpeas recipe you can use either dry beans or canned ones. If choosing the first alternative, soak the beans overnight. The next day, drain and rinse them and then bring them to a boil in a large pot. Let the chickpeas simmer for 1 hour and when the beans are fully cooked, drain them and allow to cool.
Yield: 4 servings Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups of cooked chickpeas or 1 1/2 canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 205 °C (400 °F). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the beans and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and garlic and mix well. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer the beans to the cookie sheet and spread them in a single layer.
- Bake in 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy, shaking the pan every 10 minutes, for an even toast.
- Allow them to cool before serving.
Tips and Tricks:
- Store the roasted chickpeas in an airtight container at room temperature, for 2 days.
- They are very versatile so you can add whatever flavorings and seasoning you like such as lime, chili powder, dill, onion, black pepper and so on.