Granola is a healthy, nutritious and delicious type of crispy cereal that is often served for breakfast or as a snack. Essentially, it's prepared from rolled oats, nuts and/or seeds and dried fruits and is often sweetened with honey, agave or maple syrup. Today, I am presenting you one of the easiest granola recipes that gets its flavor from dried cranberries, almonds, pecans and a pinch of cinnamon. Serve it with yogurt, milk, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or any other seasonal fruit for a nutritious and healthy breakfast.
Always chose whole oats because they are high in fiber, protein and minerals. There are many breakfast recipes that can be made with this cereal such as fruit porridge, cereals bars, yogurts crunch parfait so incorporate them in your in your morning routine because they contain a good balance of nutrients and protein to start a day.
To sweeten, I prefer raw honey because it's full of natural antioxidants, enzymes and minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium and it's a rich source of vitamins. Try not to add to much sweetener though, especially if you choose to add dried fruits as well, to keep the sugar content low.
Granola is very easy to make and it's ready in less than an hour. The ingredients are toasted in the oven to become crisp and stirred often so they do not stick together. After toasting and cooling, I usually store it in an airtight container.
Most of the commercial granola contain a high amount of unhealthy fats, too much sugar and questionable ingredients. Preparing granola at home enables you to control the quality of the ingredients and flavors and also the amount of sugar. Feel free to mix and match the ingredients to suit you taste so my advice is to be creative!
Yield: 6-8 servings Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 165 °C (325 °F). Line a large cookie tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the rolled oat with cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey, oil and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oats and using your hands, mix until the oat are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet, in an even layer leaving a few clumps here and there for texture.
- Bake for 10 minutes and the remove from the oven and flip the oats using a spatula. Sprinkle the almonds over granola and return it in the oven.
- Bake for 5 more minutes, remove from the oven and flip the oats again with a spatula. Sprinkle the pecans over granola and return it in the oven.
- Bake for 8 more minutes, then remove it from the oven. Let it cool completely. Sprinkle the cranberries over granola and transfer it to an airtight container.
- Serve granola with blueberries, raspberries and yogurt or with your favorite fruits.
Tips and Tricks:
- This homemade granola can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.