Roasted beetroot soup has not only a wonderful vibrant color but it's delicious too. This soup is healthy, rich and nutritious. Beets have an earthy and sweet flavor with a rather unique taste. When cooked, they develop a dense, velvety almost creamy texture making them the perfect fit for a delightful soup. Serve it as a lovely starter or as filling yet light lunch.
In this beetroot soup recipe, I first roasted the beets to intensify their flavor. Then, I simmered them with warm spices and fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley and bay leaf. For a rich and smooth finish, I pureed the broth and added a dash of heavy cream. It's very easy to prepare and quick. Also, it's a great and healthy vegetarian recipe for the whole family to enjoy.
The beautiful deep, dark color of beetroots is due to its high content in phytonutrients, compounds that have anti-cancer properties. Furthermore, this vegetables are a rich source of betaine, a nutrient that protects cells from environmental stress and inflammation. They are also high in immune-boosting vitamin C, A, B6, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium and fibers. Beets are known for their detoxification support thus helping purify the blood and the liver. There are many health benefits associated with this amazing vegetable root and I cannot stress enough how nutritious it is. Try adding it raw to your salads or prepare a delicious soup, such as this one.
Yield: 2-4 servings Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 5 medium beetroots
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 leek (white and pale-green parts only), chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 2 fresh thyme springs
- 2 fresh parsley springs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- crème fraїche/yogurt/sour cream, for garnish
- fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350° F). Scrub the beetroots well and place them on a roasting tray.
- Roast the beetroots for 1 hour until tender when pierced with a fork.
- When the beetroots are cool enough to handle, peel of the skins. Cut them into small cubes.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter with olive oil. Add the leeks, celery and onion and sauté until soft, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger, black pepper and the beetroot cubes. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the water, thyme, parsley and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 25 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
- Discard the bay leaf, thyme and parsley and working in batches, blend the soup with the heavy cream.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with crème fraїche, yogurt or sour cream and garnish with fresh chives.
Tips and Tricks:
- Store leftover soup in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for several days.