The culinary trick to Halloween fun is imagination so here is a batch of delicious chocolate, scary but oh so cute, ghost cupcakes with white chocolate ganache frosting. They are rich and moist with a delightful chocolate flavor creating a sweet surprise that this holiday calls for. Serve them as a fun and festive Halloween treat or get creative and tap into your inner child by creating your own scary cupcake!
The today's recipe produces rich and overflowing with chocolate flavor cupcakes. For a moist and tender cupcake, I used a combination of cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate. The eggs, sugar and sour cream give each bite a delicate texture. The batter almost resembles a mousse: both thick and light.
Ganache is a French term derived from heating chocolate with cream. When used as a frosting for chocolate cupcakes, it's a heavenly combinations. The proportion of chocolate to cream to is 1:2 which means one part chocolate to two parts cream. I will start the directions for today's recipe with the frosting first because the longer you allow the ganache to cool in the refrigerator, the thicker it will set. For today's Halloween inspired ghost cupcakes recipe, I used a white chocolate ganache frosting because it has a rich flavor that can elevate any cupcake recipe.
To make this ghost cupcakes more authentic, I used chocolate covered pomegranate seeds as the eyes of these adorable ghosts. You can also use mini-chocolate chip cookies and, in this case, push the sharp end into the frosting. This recipe is very easy to prepare and also very quick. You will still have time to whip a batch as the witches and goblins aren't coming down the street...yet!
Yield: 12 cupcakes Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
- 3 eggs
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cold coffee
- 185 g (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cacao
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g good quality dark chocolate
- 100 g white chocolate
- 200 ml heavy whipping cream
- For the white chocolate ganache frosting preparation, heat the cream in a small pan, but do not allow it to boil. Chop the white chocolate coarsely and place it in a bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted. Refrigerate for couple of hour or overnight.
- For the chocolate cupcakes preparation, preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a standard cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Chop the dark chocolate coarsely and melt it in a double boiler.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add the melted butter, sour cream and cold coffee to the egg mixture and whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Carefully and gradually, using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the coffee mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Gently, add the melted dark chocolate to the flour-coffee mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake pan cups.
- Bake until the cupcakes are set and firm to the touch, 17 to 19 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan, on the wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and place them on a wire rack to cool completely, about an hour.
- After the chocolate ganache has been cooled in the refrigerator for long enough, place it in a mixing bowl and using the whip attachment, beat the ganache until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Frost the cupcakes by piping a mound of frosting in the center of each cupcake then pipe a circle around the base of the frosting mound pushing away to the edge of the cupcake
- Place pomegranate seeds or mini chocolate chip cookies in the position of eyes.
- Refrigerate until serving to prevent the frosting from wilting.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can prepare the white chocolate ganache a day ahead and refrigerate overnight. The next day, you can whip it and frost the chocolate cupcakes.
- These cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.