Traditionally from Mexico, tacos consist of corn tortillas wrapped around a variety of fillings such as beef, pork, chicken, fish and vegetables thus allowing an impressive versatility. They are considered one of the most popular Mexican street foods, usually being served from the famous food trucks. Today I am using a variety of flavors such as jalapeño peppers, red onions, cucumbers, cilantro, lime and mango to bring life to the delicious fresh tilapia tacos.
The fish tacos with mango salsa recipe is ready quickly, it's simple to prepare and healthy. Tilapia fillets are seasoned with chile powder, salt, pepper and lime juice. The fried, crispy, flaked fish is then placed on a lightly charred corn tortilla and topped with fresh salsa. This is prepared from diced mango, red onions, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and a splash of lime juice, which brings both heat and sweet flavors to the fish.
These simple fish tacos are a reliable choice for a fresh, light, flavorful dinner that will certainly please, whether it is for your family or entertaining guests. If you are a fish taco lover, you need to try this recipe and even if you are not, I believe you might be transformed into one.
Yield: 4-6 servings Time: 30 minutes
- 500 g (1 lbs) tilapia
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- chile powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- a small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8-10 soft tortillas
- Season the fish with salt, pepper and a dust of chile powder. Squeeze two lime wedges over the fish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced mango, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper with a pinch of salt and the juice from one or two lime wedges, according to your taste.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, over medium heat. Once hot, add the tilapia fillets and cook for 4 minutes on each side until the fish is slightly browned and flakes apart easily.
- Remove the fish from the pan and if desired warm the corn tortillas in the same pan, over medium heat, for about 30 seconds per side.
- Flake the fish into bite-sized pieces and place it on warm tortillas and top them with fresh mango salsa.
Tips and Tricks:
- Leftover corn tortillas can be used in other recipes such as chili enchiladas, tortilla chips or quesadillas.