Thanksgiving will be celebrated in the United States this week and the most important thing to remember is that this holiday calls us to acknowledge the blessing in our lives, seen or unseen. It leads us to be appreciative for all the people, experiences and opportunities we have given. Around the Thanksgiving dinner table, the centerpiece is the turkey and I decided to roast it with an orange-honey glaze and serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.
Roasting a turkey breast is a great alternative to roasting a whole turkey especially if you have a small family to cook for. Choose a bone-in, skin-on turkey breast for extra flavor and moisture. It's very easy to prepare and it's ready in an hour. The target temperature for the white meat turkey is 71°C (160°F).
A fresh and tangy glaze over the golden roasted turkey breast makes a memorable holiday dish. Orange juice and zest, honey, Dijon mustard and vinegar are simmered together to create a luscious glaze. Covering the turkey breast with it, in the final half an hour of roasting, results in a beautiful golden-brown slightly sweet meat.
I served this delicious roasted turkey breast with garlic mashed potatoes and blanched green beans. These garlic mashed potatoes have a creamy texture and are full of subtle garlic flavor making them a favorite holiday side dish along with blanched green beans. Enjoy this delightful dinner with your friends and family and express your gratitude for everything that is good in your life.
Yield: 4 servings Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Ingredients for roasted turkey:
- 1 (1-1.5 kg/2-3 pounds) turkey breast, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Ingredients for orange-honey glaze:
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for garlic mashed potatoes:
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
Ingredients for green beans:
- 600g (1 1/2 pounds) green beans
- For the roasted turkey preparation, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Rub the turkey breast with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, along with Italian seasoning and paprika. Place it on the baking sheet bone side down.
- Place the turkey breast in the oven to roast.
- Meantime, prepare the orange-honey glaze by combining all the ingredients in a small sauce pan, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the glaze into two separate bowls, reserving one half to brush over the turkey as it roasts and the other for when the turkey is sliced. Allow it to cool until thickened and glossy, for about 10 minutes.
- Baste the turkey with glaze, 30 minutes after roasting. Continue to roast for another 10 minutes than brush on more glaze.
- Roast for 10 more minutes than brush on more glaze and then roast for another 10 minutes and remove the breast from the oven once the internal temperature reaches 71°C (160°F).
- Allow the turkey breast to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- For the garlic mashed potatoes preparation, place the potatoes in a large pot, add the salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.
- Heat the milk and the minced garlic in a small pan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and mashed them, add the butter and garlic milk and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Blanch green beans in a large pot of well salted boiling water until bright green and tender crisp, for about 2 minutes. Drain and place them in a bowl of cold water to stop cooking.
- Slice the roasted turkey breast, drizzle with a little bit of reserved glaze, transfer to a serving plate along with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.
Tips and Tricks:
- Remove the turkey breast from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to ensure even roasting.
- You can reserve the drippings from the pan for preparing a delicious gravy.