Crêpes, considered French-style pancakes, can feature flavorful fillings and sweet or savory toppings. Therefore, in France, they are a favorite, being enthusiastically received any time of the day, at breakfast, lunch, dinner or tea. These thin, delicate pancakes have a delicate mascarpone filling and a crunchy almond topping along with a drizzle of apricot preserve. Dust the Crêpes with a powdered sugar and served them as a sweet, delicious dessert.
This Crêpe batter is prepared from simple ingredients such as flour, milk, eggs, water and a pinch of salt. It can be easily prepared by hand, using a whisk or in a blender or a food processor. The batter needs to have the consistency of a light cream. It can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for up to two days. This way, you can surprise your family with a beautiful looking and a delicious dessert prepared in no-time.
Cooking the Crêpes can be a little bit challenging but with practice, this technique can be easily mastered. Now, the pan is important, but you can use a non-stick frying pan if you don't have a special Crêpe pan. Heat it over medium heat, lightly butter the pan and then add just enough batter so once you swirl and tilt the pan, the batter forms a thin layer.
As for the filling, the combination of Mascarpone cheese and whipped cream creates a lovely, velvety texture with a a soft and light consistency. A little vanilla extract adds another layer of flavor. Serve this delightful Crêpes with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Yield: 8 Crêpes Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the Crêpes batter:
- 125g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the Mascapone filling:
- 225g (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 180 ml whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- sliced almonds
- apricot preserve
- powdered sugar
- For the Crêpe batter preparation, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the flour until fully combined. Gradually, add the milk and water, stirring constantly. Add the salt and whisking the batter until smooth.
- Lightly butter a Crêpe pan or a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add approximately 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl until the bottom of the pan is evenly covered with batter.
- Cook the Crêpe until moist and golden underneath, for about 1-2 minutes. Loosen the edges of the Crêpe with a spatula and gently flip. Cook on the other side for 1 minute. Transfer the cooked Crêpe to a plate and cover it with aluminum foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the Mascaporne filling preparation, in a bowl of an electric mixer, combine the Mascarpone cheese, cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture on medium-high speed until medium-firm peaks form.
- To assemble, using a spoon, spread the Mascapone filling over the Crêpes and roll them in a log. Top with crunchy almonds and drizzle with apricot preserve or desired toppings. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Tips and Tricks:
- If the batter is setting before you can spread the batter, reduce the heat.
- If not consumed right away, crepes can be stored, stacked in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic foil for up to two days. Reheat them in the oven or in a hot pan.